Announcements (Important – please read):
1. Internships/Job Shadows is this week, March 15, 16, & 17th. Students will not come to school, but go to their “jobs”. Students will have a packet that will need to be filled out by their “employers” and themselves to receive a grade for this project. 8th grade students should seek out a different place of business, doing a different job then they did last year. See attached documents for details & letter to potential businesses.
2. 2nd Trimester Report Cards are being emailed home today.
3. EE trips to Family Harvest Farm: Because of poor weather, and no parent volunteers, we had to cancel last week’s farm visit. The next farm visit will include 1 1/2 groups. If your student is going, please consider driving. Drivers need to be here by 9:40am, and we will return to campus by 12pm. Drivers need to have a copy of their 100,000/300,000 liability car insurance on file in the office, and a copy of their driver’s license on file in the office to drive. If you can drive, please let us know how many students you can take (minimum of 3). Students not attending the farm will do EE assignments at school.
Group B & 1/2 Group A – to farm on March 23 – NEED Drivers
Week 3: Social Entrepreneur & Shark Tank
This unit is a continuation of Human Centered Design (HCD). Students will now take their design from the HCD unit, continue to refine it – or create a new design – and then go through the process of creating a business. At the end of the unit, students will present their business to the class, and then to a Shark Tank (community members). See attached document for requirements.
This Week’s Assignments/Homework: not inclusive – assignments may be added. Class assignments not finished during class become homework.
- Vocabulary: definitions & word work; due March 20
- Literature Book: Lunch Money by Andrew Clements; pacing guide
- Writing: Create a Business Plan for your business. Work with your business partners to do the following:Your business is a fantasy until it is written.
-Outline your Mission and Goals in a summary. Try to get us behind your idea and you. If you have a social entrepreneurial business, share how it qualifies. ; due March 24
- Current Events: “Send out the Word” about your business. With your business partners do the following:
1. Design Business Cards-Include-Your full name, your business name or logo; a slogan if you have one, your phone number, your email address, any other important contact information if there is some.
2. Create a flier or brochure for your business.
3. Come up with a unique way to advertise your business. Be creative.
4. Create a 30 second commercial for your business, use one
of the persuasive techniques we learned earlier in the year (i.e. bandwagon, famous people, repetition, etc) –
5. Create a page OR website for your business and embed your advertisement on it. Create an advertisement for Instagram, Facebook, or some other social media site.; due March 24
- Famous Entrepreneur Poster; due today
- Business Journal: daily assignments; check ins on Friday
- Workshop: read assigned pages & complete assignments; due on Workshop day
- Math: CPM, Khan, POD, pacing guide with due dates, assessments on Fridays
- Science “Body Systems”: participation & assignments; due on Science day
- Social Entrepreneur Project: working through requirements (see attached document); completed project due & ready to present April 4