Be in the Know
*New Unit – Careers (Humanities) and Earth Systems (Science). In this unit:
1. Students will choose a career they are interested in & work individually on a 10 Tasks project which they will present to the class at the end of unit (see attached Tasks)
2. They will learn how to get a “job” & will go to that job for 3 days (see attached docs), including doing Mock Interviews (need parent help…see bottom of email)
3. They will have a Career Day, where they will have the opportunity to have small group discussions with people in all types of careers.
4. They will either read “The Cure” or “The Giver”…their choice, and do assignments associated with the book.
5. They will continue to learn different writing styles, including Speeches!
6. They will continue to work through their Math curriculum, including learning about personal finances/budgeting
* Farm Visit to the Family Harvest Farm (Pittsburg) for experiential learning: The 3rd group will go out in March (date TBD).
Weekly Work (additional assignments may be added by teachers)
Vocabulary: assignment due on Wednesday, quiz on Friday
Current Events #1:
Part 1 – Take Quiz & learn about which careers might interest you.
After exploring the site, write a half-page summary of what you found and learned about yourself from this site (on google doc). In your summary, create (up to 5) hyperlinks to enhance the information. Due Friday
Part 2 (parent help*) due Thursday
1) Download the Career Development Parent Handbook.2) *Spend at least one hour reading over the handbook with one or both of your parents.3) Check out one or more links found in the handbook.4) Write a one-page summary of an area you explored or of an area you read about.
Literature: read assigned pages, and do Reflection. Reading done by Thursday, Reflection due on Friday , Quiz on Friday
RJW#1: due on Friday
Math: Daily assignments, including classwork & homework. Assorted due dates, & assessments are usually on Fridays.
Science: Intro to new unit, “Earth Systems”; assorted assignments & due dates
Writer’s Workshop: Portfolio of writing assignments Due in April
Career Project: Intro to new unit & project
Passion Project: yearlong project with assorted benchmarks/due dates. Students are given an hour a week in class to work on this project. Ask what their focus is on. Ask your student how they are doing on the project!
Mock Interviews: On Thursday, March 10th (8:30~9:30) we will be doing Mock Interviews with the students. We need your help! This is easy to do, and we will give you everything you need, including questions. Students will not be graded on this, it is to give them an opportunity to practice. If you could help, please let us know ASAP! The more volunteers we have, the less students everyone needs to interview plus the students will receive more one on one time too!