Antioch Charter Academy
School Spirit Week
Newsletter for Antioch Charter Academy/TLCS Families and Staff Volume 24, Issue 29, April 20, 2020
Dear ACA Families,
While staying at home due to coronavirus (Covid-19), parents and caregivers will be concerned about their children’s education and the impact of missing school. No one expects parents to become school teachers, with activities and feedback exactly as a school would. Parents and caregivers should do their best to help children and support their learning.
Here are some ideas for parents to consider this week:
- Structure the day
- get up and go to bed at the same time each day
- have regular meal times
- have regular breaks
- make time each day for children to be active. Children are used to regular active time at lunch and at breaks.
- Using digital devices
- Talk to children about online safety and set parental controls
- Manage screen time with a timer and break it up with books and other printed material (books and printed material can be picked up from school on Friday from 10 am-12 pm).
- Have students write by hand, write a diary or reflect or summarize things they have learned or done.
- Talk with your child throughout the day, take frequent breaks, share out successes each day, ask questions and listen. Give them support and direction, but encourage them to do work independently too!
- Read together or talk about what your child is reading. Write-tell children to write or practice their writing.
- Ask your school teacher for help, ideas, and support. Offer help to your child’s teacher. We all want each child to continue to learn and develop their brains during this time, so work together to ensure your child is ready for the next level.
On another note, the Contra Costa Health Department has put out a new health order (see attached). This new directive requires masks of everyone visiting or working at an essential business. That means that when you come to school on Friday’s to drop off or pick up materials, you must wear a mask and your children must too. Staff members will also be required to wear masks while at work.
Please take care of yourself during this time and remember you are doing GREAT! We are here if you need us!
Edna Heller, Co-administrator
2020-21 Student Placement/Intent to Return Form: If you intend to have your student return to ACA next year, make sure to fill out this form at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1gYZqQCI-An_hSAO5mLPHyYn4SFS1JplvAsqdMPn1rkA/edit?ts=5e96029c. This will be due on or before May 1, 2020. Thank you!
Yearbook: Our Yearbook class is working hard to finish the book for this year. If you have pictures from events, spirit days, distance learning, etc., please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. We have almost reached our deadline for the year, and we really need your help with photos! Thank you to those families who have shared their photos with us already!
8th graders: please submit your baby picture and quote by this Friday, April 17th. Email to email@example.com.
Yearbooks can be ordered directly through Tree Ring and will be delivered to your home. This does require a small delivery fee of $2.99 per book. The cost of the yearbook is $20 until April 30. On May 1, the price will increase to $25. (These prices do not include the shipping fee.) To purchase, please go to treering.com/101506720561403 and create an account.
Virtual Scholastic Book Fair: Even though we can’t meet in person, we will still have our book fair this year. The book fair is going online April 27 – May 10! Shop for books and support our school! Use the link https://www.scholastic.com/bf/antiochcharteracad to order. All orders will ship to your home, and book-only orders over $25 will receive free shipping.
Classtag: If you have not already done so, please contact your student’s classroom and request to sign up for Classtag! Make sure to choose texting as your delivery choice. Our school will be using Classtag even more to get news to the parents. Keep on top of key dates and deadlines, find messages like minimum day pick-ups, receive updates on whole school & classroom events, and much more!
Up To Date Health Information: Take care of yourself and your family. If you have questions about what is happening in Contra Costa County visit https://www.coronavirus.cchealth.org/ for the most up-to-date information on the coronavirus.
FAMILY NETWORK (FN) NEWS & INFORMATION
The ACA Family Network is made up of ACA adults who volunteer for fundraisers and social events for the enrichment of our children. The money we raise goes back to our school for study trips, family activities, assemblies, and classroom supplies. If you have a child/grandchild/niece/nephew/etc. at ACA, then come join us & help make a difference!
Family Network Events:
Spirit Week: The Family Network has a spirit week coming up next week! April 20th – 24th!
Monday: PJ day
Tuesday: Fun Sock Day
Wednesday: Wear your Wonderful Wednesday shirt
Thursday: Sports Day – wear your favorite sports team gear
Friday: Show Your “New school” – where do you do your school work?
2020-21 Family Network Board Nominations: It’s time to submit your nominations for the Family Network Board for the 2020-2021 school year. Below is a list of the positions on the board. Please consider which you are willing to help with and nominate yourself or a friend! All third party nominations will need to be accepted by the nominated party. (Don’t worry, your name won’t show up on the ballot without your knowledge beforehand.) Nominations must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1, 2020. Elections will be held electronically from May 5-7, 2020. We appreciate your continued support of our school community!
Antioch Charter Academy Family Network Board Positions
- Chairperson – facilitates board meetings, ensures events are planned, liaison with school staff
- Co-Chairperson – facilitates board meetings in the absence of the chair, plans events as assigned, supports the Chairperson
- Treasurer – keeps accurate accounting of the Family Network funds, help plan and carry out events, attends board meetings
- Secretary – takes minutes at board meetings and distributes them to the board, updates the Family Network binder in the office, plans events as assigned, attends board meetings
- Fundraising Chair – organizes and plans monthly restaurant fundraisers, plans fundraisers with support from other Family Network members, attends board meetings
- Social Chair – plans and organizes social events, attends board meetings, other duties as assigned
- Volunteer Coordinator – facilitates requests for/fulfillment of volunteers via Track It Forward, manages family accounts on Track It Forward, attends board meetings
- April 24 Campus open from 10-12pm for supplies pick-up and/or drop-off. Please wear a face covering when on campus.
- April 27-May 10 FN Online Bookfair
- May 1 Family Network Nominations Due for 2020-21
- May 1 Campus open from 10-12pm for supplies pick-up and/or drop-off
- May 1 2020-21 Student Placement Intent to Return Form Due
- May 25 Memorial Day – no school
ACA Elementary – ACAElementary@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Intermediate – ACAIntermediate@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Primary – ACAPrimary@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Middle School – ACAMiddleSchool@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA I & II Special Education – SPED@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Newsletter – ACANewsletter@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Memories – ACAMemories@antiochcharteracademy.org