Antioch Charter Academy
March 3rd 2020-21 Lottery for new students (applications due March 2nd)
Newsletter for Antioch Charter Academy/TLCS Families and Staff Volume 24, Issue 23, March 2, 2020
Hello ACA Families,
Happy March! We have a lot of fun upcoming events happening this month that you are all invited to join in!
Next week is Spirit Week, which is being coordinated by two of our School Families. Here is the lineup of March events:
March 9th is 80’s Day
March 10th is Nerd Day
March 11th Wednesday Shirts
March 12th Anime/Manga Day
March 13th is Mismatch Day
March 17th we have a Dining for Dollars event
March 25th Walk-A-Thon! Primary at 11am and 1st – 8th at 1pm!
And, of course, don’t forget to purchase your ticket for the Family Formal Dance happening April 3rd!
Excited to see you all at one of these occasions!
2020-21 Lottery: The ACA lottery for the upcoming 2020-21 school year, will be held on March 3, 2020. If you have a student, or know of a student who would like to attend next year, an application must be filled out and put into the lottery process.
No student is automatically accepted into the school because he or she has a sibling already attending ACA. All incoming students, including TK & Kindergarten, must submit an application by March 2nd, to be included in the school’s lottery. Applications can be filled out online at https://antiochcharteracademy.org/applications/ or a papercopy can be picked up in the office.
Yearbook: Yearbooks are now ON SALE! Purchase your 2019-20 Yearbook by May 1st and pay only $20. After May 1st, the price jumps to $25. If you procrastinate and wait until the last day of school, the price will be $30 (if there are any left). So don’t wait! You can order your yearbook in the office, or fill out the form and send $ & form with your student.
CAASPP TESTING DAYS: Below is the list of testing days for each level. PLEASE do not schedule appointments/vacations during your child’s testing days.
Testing will usually take place in the mornings: M, T, TH, & F. Thank you
Elementary (3rd grade only): ELA CAT (5/4 -5/5), Math CAT (5/7- 5/8), Math PT (5/11-5/12), ELA PT (5/14-5/15)
Intermediate (4-6th): SCIENCE (4/2-4/3), ELA PT (4/23-4/24), ELA CAT (4/30-5/1), Math CAT (5/18-5/19), Math PT (5/21-5/22)
Middle (7-8th): SCIENCE (4/21), ELA PT (4/27-4/28), ELA CAT (5/11 -5/15), Math CAT (5/11-5/15), Math PT (5/21-5/22)
Charter Council: the Charter Council is our governing board. The board meets on a monthly basis – usually the first Thursday of the month @ 4PM. Please check the calendar for the next meeting date/time, or call the office at 925-755-7311 to confirm. These meetings are open to the public – all are welcomed!
Arrival Time & Dismissal Time: Gates open and supervision begins at 8am, the first bell rings at 8:10am, and class begins at 8:15am. It is important to make sure your student arrives on time for class. Please help us out by dropping your student off no earlier than 8am and exiting the carpool line by 8:15am. School ends at 3pm on M, T, Th, & F, and 2pm on W for 1st-8th grade. Minimum days end at 12pm. Please be punctual in picking up your student(s).
Absences and Tardies: If your student will be absent, or tardy, please call the office at 925-755-7311, or email you student’s classroom, before 8:30am. If you do not notify the school, the absence will go on your student’s permanent attendance record as unexcused.
CARPOOL and CROSSWALK Procedures: Please use the crosswalk if you are walking in or out of the school. You can also walk up the hill by the park and exit through the park. Please do not walk through the carpool lane. The carpool lane is for cars only. Please help teach your students safe procedures when walking in and out of school.
Want an easier school-parent-teacher communication?
Make it happen with Classtag!
Simple communication that just works…for everyone.
- Get Started Free!
- One Simple Source of Info
- Choose your method of delivery (email and/or text) & your choice of language (over 70 to choose from!)
- Secure site!
Keep on top of key dates and deadlines, find messages like minimum day pick-ups, receive updates on whole school & classroom events, and much more!
If you have not already signed up, please contact your student’s classroom to get your student’s individual sign-up code!
Have multiple students…then get a code for each one.
FAMILY NETWORK (FN) NEWS & INFORMATION
The ACA Family Network is made up of ACA adults who volunteer for fundraisers and social events for the enrichment of our children. The money we raise goes back to our school for study trips, family activities, assemblies, and classroom supplies. If you have a child/grandchild/niece/nephew/etc. at ACA, then come join us & help make a difference!
Family Network Events:
Family Formal: ACA II/ACA Annual Family Formal will be on April 3 from 5:30pm to 7:30pm. This year it will be in the Mangini Building (Red Barn building in front of ACA II at the Fairgrounds). Cost is $5 per person. This was a FUN event last year, so don’t MISS OUT this year!! See attached document for details. Tickets can be purchased in the office.
Popcorn Fridays: On Fridays, after school, the FN will sell popcorn & candy for $1. All profits go back to the school! If you would like to help, please email ACAFamilyNetwork@antiochcharteracademy.org
Keep Track of Your Volunteer Hours: Each ACA family is asked to volunteer 40 hours per year. Our Family Network Parent Volunteer Coordinator has already set up accounts for each family.
All you need to do is go to https://www.trackitforward.com and sign in using the email address you gave the school. Your temporary password is Aca01. After logging in, please change your password to a permanent one of your choosing. If you can’t find an account created for you, you can contact the Family Network with questions at ACAFamilyNetwork@antiochcharteracademy.org
Family Network Meetings are the first Thursday of each month. Meetings are held in Room 4 at 3pm on the ACA campus. The board welcomes and encourages all ACA families to attend the meetings. The meetings are not just for board members, but for all ACA family members.
FREE child care can be provided by Middle School students, but parents must RSVP to the meeting in advance. If you plan on coming to the meeting, email the Family Network Board at email@example.com, and let them know you will need the Free Child Care services during the meeting.
Easy Ways to Earn Money for ACA!!
* AmazonSmiles: Shop at Amazon? Shop at Amazon’s fundraising site, smile.amazon.com and they will donate back to ACA. We are registered as The Learner Centered School, Inc.
* Box Tops for Education: Clip out those Box Tops for Education boxes found on General Mills, Hanes, Betty Crocker, Gold Medal, Ziploc, Progresso, Old El Paso, Kleenex, Fiber One, Hefty, etc. and drop off them in the collection box in the school office. You can also register at boxtopsforeducation.com and have more opportunities to raise funds. We are listed as The Learner Centered School, Inc.
* Good Search: Forget Google and Bing, use goodsearch.com for your web searches and they will donate a penny per search to ACA. They can add up! We are listed as Antioch Charter Academy. While there you can also sign up for GoodShop and GoodDining and others!
* Shoparoo…Upload this free app to your smartphone. Then take photos of your receipts from stores, restaurants, etc. and they will donate back to ACA. We are listed as Antioch Charter Academy. Info at shoparoo.com
*Escrip: Register your Safeway card with The Learner Centered School, Inc. Safeway cards need to be reregistered each year.
*Annual Give: This is a great opportunity to make a donation to our school, knowing that your money will go directly to benefit our students. Annual give donations are accepted any time throughout the school year, and they are tax deductible. Contact the office, or email the Family Network to find out more information. This year you can make your donation through check, cash or Pay Pall: https://PayPal.me/ACAFamilyNetwork
EASY Fundraising Opportunity – Benefit App https://www.benefit-mobile.com/
● Download the app
● Link a checking account or credit card to this secure site
● Purchase digital gift cards and use on the spot! Lots of options including Walmart & Target (go to the website to see all the options)!
● The business will then donate a percentage of your purchase to our school!
- March 3 ACA Lottery for 2020-21 School Year (Deadline to submit application is March 2)
- March 5 Intermediate Study Trip – Lawrence Hall of Science
- March 5 Family Network Meeting (all welcome) – 3pm
- March 5 Charter Council (all welcome) – 4pm
- March 6 End of 2nd Trimester
- March 6 MS EE at Big Break – Group A
- March 8 Spring Forward!!!!
- March 9 Beginning of 3rd Trimester
- March 9-13 Minimum Days – dismissal time at 12pm
- March 16-18 MS Internships – off campus
- March 20 MS EE at Big Break – Group C
- March 24 Spring Picture Day
- March 25 FN Walk-a-thon
- April 2 Family Network Meeting (all welcome) – 3pm
- April 2 Charter Council (all welcome) – 4pm
- April 3 ACA/ACA II Family Formal Event – CCC Fairgrounds from 5:30-7:30pm
- April 6-13 Spring Break & Easter Monday – no school
- April 14 Minimum Day – dismissal time at 12pm
- April 29 Young Author’ Night
- April 30 Prim/Elem Being There Experience – El Campanil Theater
School Phone – 925-755-7311
School Address – 3325 Hacienda Way, Antioch 94509
School Website – www.AntiochCharterAcademy.org
ACA Office – ACAOffice@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Family Network – ACAFamilyNetwork@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Elementary – ACAElementary@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Intermediate – ACAIntermediate@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Primary – ACAPrimary@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Middle School – ACAMiddleSchool@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA I & II Special Education – SPED@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Newsletter – ACANewsletter@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Memories – ACAMemories@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Hot Lunch Program – ACALunchProgram@antiochcharteracademy.org
Twitter & Instagram Accounts – #AntiochCharter; @AntiochCharter
Parent Network Board & Contact Info
Co-Chairs: Lydia Moon and Kelly MacCallister
Secretary: Brooke Farrington
Treasurer: Beth Rottier
School Volunteer Coordinator: Salena Killion
Social Chair: Janika Barnes
Fundraising Chair: open
If you’re interested in an open position please email ACAFamilyNetwork@antiochcharteracademy.org
We need help to make this year amazing for OUR KIDS, the school families, teachers and staff
Members at Large: Everyone!
Private Facebook Group: www.facebook.com/groups/acafamilynetwork/
VISION AND MISSION STATEMENTS
Our Vision To provide a learning environment where students of all socio-economic levels and ethnic backgrounds embrace education, exhibit compassion, and accept personal responsibility
Our Mission The mission of the Antioch Charter Academies is to facilitate academic and personal growth of TK-8th grade students of all socio-economic levels and ethnic backgrounds. ACA enables 21st century students to become literate, self-motivated, innovative, lifelong learners, and compassionate, collaborative active citizens. We nurture and support a partnership of students, teachers, families and the community; embrace individual strengths; and build upon research informed educational best practices including Montessori, multiple intelligences, brain-compatible teaching, and multi-age groupings with small class sizes.