Gradelink is the best place to check your student’s progress and performance in middle school. Please login to Gradelink. You can view each class to see what work is missing (noted with MIS) and the scores students receive on graded assignments. Blanks indicate that the teacher has not yet graded an assignment. You can also see upcoming assignments.
- Welcome back and Happy New Year! Hope you all had a relaxing break!
- Friday, January 10 – 2nd Cup, Room 6, after drop off
- Wednesday, January 15 – Pizza form with payment due by NOON
- Friday, January 17 – Pizza Lunch
- Monday, January 20 – NO SCHOOL
- Thursday and Friday, January 30-31 – Minimum Day dismissal at NOON
Egg Cartons needed for science next week
Mrs. McCutcheon asks to please send in empty egg cartons of any size by this Friday for a science activity next week. Thank you!
Message from Mrs. Ave!
A very big THANK YOU to those who have donated and volunteered to help with breakfast!
Message from FNB:
VOLUNTEERING AT ACAII
Parent involvement is an integral part of the mission of ACA II. From the inception of our
school, parents at ACA II have given countless hours to ensure the continued success of our
program. ACA II relies on parent volunteers to assist in the development and ongoing success of our program. Families are encouraged to donate 40 hours of volunteer time per school year.
We are beginning to form teams to work on some of our biggest and best events. ACA II would love your help and there are even jobs that can be done from home! Consider joining one of these teams to get those volunteer hours in while helping put together memorable events for our school.
Walkathon- Generally takes place around the end of March. This is one of our schools biggest fundraisers which supports or General Fund.
Family Formal- April 3: This is our schools take on the traditional mother/son, father/daughter dance. This social event was a hit last year and we would love to continue the tradition.
Silent Auction- Typically takes place in the beginning of May. This is another big fundraiser for our schools General Fund.
*If you are interested in joining one or more of the teams please email firstname.lastname@example.org
GENERAL SCHOOL FUND
These funds impact students directly through out the year. Everyone should/is encouraged to participate.
- General School Funds are used in ACAII yearly budget
- FNB Fundraising closes costs gaps for line items & ‘extras’ in our school budget
- GSF budget line items include
○ Classroom $ for each teacher and grade level
○ Capital Improvements
○ Enrichment Supplies
■ School garden and animal care
■ Project Lead the Way
■ Field Trips
■ Field Trip & College Scholarships
○ Elective Material Fees
○ Personal Safety & Physical Education
○ Art & Pottery
○ Music – School Orchestra
○ iLs – Integrated Listening Systems, Primary Classes and “Booster” Grade Levels
○ Community Outreach Events
■ 2nd Cup, Back 2 School Bash, Birthday Celebrations, Campus Clean up,
Graduation, Evening events such as PEP Meets and Meet and Greet.
Alliance to Save Energy: (Monday)
7th graders can now use the link for the pledge (be sure to select McCutcheon as your teacher). 8th graders can also still sign the pledge if they haven’t already (select Hagan).
Our school has decided to participate in a free energy education program called emPowered Schools, provided by Energy Upgrade California and the Alliance to Save Energy. The aim of emPowered Schools is to educate students, their families, and their communities about what we can all do to help California meet it’s 100% renewable energy target. The program launched this spring in California and the response from students was fantastic. The middle school is going to begin the program by doing the following as an optional assignment this week:
- At home, use a phone, computer, or tablet and go to euc.empoweredschools.org/pledge.
- In the teacher name section use Hagan if you are an 8th grader and McCutcheon if you are a 7th grader.
- Complete questions about lighting, heating, air conditioning, and appliances.
- If you don’t know the answer to a question, ask a parent or guardian.
- Gather all members of your family together to review and sign the pledge.
- Hit submit.
The class with the most will win either a doughnut party or a pizza party. If you have any questions let Mr. Hagan know!
- Book Talk/Review schedule for trimester #2:
- 1/30, 3/5
Article of the Week (A.O.W.): Monday
AOW #5 Flu Vaccine
Each week students will receive an article of the week (AOW) to read. Students are required to:
- Read the article
- Discuss the article with one of their parents or guardians (whoever discusses the article should also read it)
- Respond in writing to the questions in the google classroom assignment.
The article for this week can be found here and in the Language Arts google class. It is also attached as a handout.
Persuasive Essay: Tuesday-Thursday
Essay prompt: Write a letter to Princess Charlotte arguing which real knight from the middle ages is the greatest knight in history.
The completed essay is due January 16th.
Mobymax Language: (10 minutes a day)
Students will login to MobyMax here. They will click on the “Language” button and practice for 40 minutes.
Study for your test on Medieval Europe the test will be next week.
Suggestion for this week: Focus on completing the 3rd squires challenges, you should begin/continue construction of your castle.
Please see the attached calendars for this week’s classwork, homework, and assessments. Your student will also be given a paper version of the calendar. Or, login to gradelink to see all math assignments.
Khan Academy Final Student Activity for growth mindset due Friday
***Helpful email addresses
If you need to reach Middle School or any of the teachers, please use the following email addresses:
email@example.com – absence notes, responses to the newsletter, general questions, contacting Mrs. Ave
firstname.lastname@example.org – Mrs. McCutcheon, science or math questions
email@example.com – Mr. Hagan, language arts or social studies questions
School Website: www.AntiochCharterAcademy.org
http://cpm.org – resource pages, tool kits, extra practice and tech resources – Student homework help is available ALSO – Parent resource page has tutorials so you can better help your student!!
learnersdictionary.com – great website for vocabulary
www.khanacademy.org – Search ANY math topic to watch a short video tutorial, practice activities to get better at skills.