Antioch Charter Academy
Our Vision To provide a learning environment where students of all socio-economic levels and ethnic backgrounds embrace education, exhibit compassion, and accept personal responsibility
Our Mission The mission of the Antioch Charter Academies is to facilitate academic and personal growth of TK-8th grade students of all socio-economic levels and ethnic backgrounds. ACA enables 21st century students to become literate, self-motivated, innovative, lifelong learners, and compassionate, collaborative active citizens. We nurture and support a partnership of students, teachers, families and the community; embrace individual strengths; and build upon research informed educational best practices including Montessori, multiple intelligences, brain-compatible teaching, and multi-age groupings with small class sizes.
Newsletter for Antioch Charter Academy/TLCS Families and Staff Volume 24, Issue 4, September 9, 2019
Dear ACA families,
I know that getting back into the routine of school can be hard. As a mother of four, I can recall the struggle to get out the door on time. Since we still have many students arriving late to school I want to share some tips to help you and your child establish a morning routine that will get everyone to school on time. Teaching your child the importance of arriving on time and how to do it are important skills that will help them throughout their lives.
In the article How to be on Time to Achieve Academic Success, Grace Fleming states, “Students who are always on time are the people who earn the best grades, win scholarships, and get into great colleges. In the working world, the people who are always on time are the people who get promotions.”
The morning school run doesn’t always have to be a mad dash. Follow these few tips to help get your child out the door on time and ready for the day.
1. Lay out school clothes the night before.
2. Keep shoes in one place.
3. Get your child to bed on time. (with NO technology)
4. Prepare the night before; make lunches, put homework in backpacks etc
5. Give your child an alarm clock
6. Encourage your child to get his/herself ready
7. Keep breakfast simple; put together a grab n go pack for emergencies
8. Give the weekday routine a break on the weekends.
9. Rethink the meaning of “on time.” People who are always on time are really people who are always early. Set your clocks AHEAD ten minutes.
Eastern Heritage Fundraiser: The current fundraiser happening is the Charleston Wrap Fundraiser. Students can sell items to raise money to help pay for the Eastern Heritage Trip. This trip happens every 3 years. Students can fundraise for as many years as they like to help pay for the cost of the trip. The fundraiser continues until next week. All orders and money are due by next Wednesday, September 18th.
Arrival Time & Dismissal Time: Gates open and supervision begins at 8am, the first bell rings at 8:10am, and class begins at 8:15am. It is important to make sure your student arrives on time for class. Please help us out by dropping your student off no earlier than 8am and exiting the carpool line by 8:15am. School ends at 3pm on M, T, Th, & F, and 2pm on W for 1st-8th grade. Minimum days end at 12pm. Please be punctual in picking up your student(s).
Absences and Tardies: If you student will be absent, or tardy, please call the office at 925-755-7311, or email you student’s classroom, before 8:30am.
School Lunches: Antioch Unified School District requires that you must submit a new meal application each year. If your child received meal benefits last school year, their free or reduced-price status will expire on Wednesday, September 18, 2019.
If we do not process your child’s meal application by that date, they will revert to Paid meal status. Lunch prices are $3.25 for Kindergarten through 8th grade and $3.50 for 9th through 12th grades. For faster processing, please visit www.SchoolLunchApp.com to apply.
You may also pick up a paper application from your child’s school, the District Office, or the Nutrition Services Office located at 701 West 18th Street.
CARPOOL and CROSSWALK Procedures REMINDERS: Please use the crosswalk if you are walking in or out of the school. You can also walk up the hill by the park and exit through the park. Please do not walk through the carpool lane. The carpool lane is for cars only. Please help teach your students safe procedures when walking in and out of school.
Want an easier school-parent-teacher communication?
Make it happen with Classtag!
Simple communication that just works…for everyone.
- Get Started Free!
- One Simple Source of Info
- Choose your method of delivery (email and/or text) & your choice of language (over 70 to choose from!)
- Secure site!
Keep on top of key dates and deadlines, find messages like minimum day pick-ups, receive updates on whole school & classroom events, and much more!
If you have not already signed up, please contact your student’s classroom to get your student’s individual sign-up code!
Have multiple students…then get a code for each one.
FYI: This app will be replacing Remind
FAMILY NETWORK (FN) NEWS & INFORMATION
The ACA Family Network is made up of ACA adults who volunteer for fundraisers and social events for the enrichment of our children. The money we raise goes back to our school for study trips, family activities, and classroom supplies. If you have a child/grandchild/niece/nephew/etc. at ACA, then come join us & help make a difference!
Family Network Events:
Dine Out for Dollars: go out to eat and earn money for our school!
Sept 17 from 4-8pm: Chipotle (5401 Lone Tree Way, Antioch)
Oct 15 from 3-9pm: Panera
Nov 12 from 4-9pm: Mod Pizza (4301 Century Blvd. Pittsburg)
Annual Give: Your ACA Family Network works hard to support our school, our students and our teachers. How can you help? Glad you asked. This one is easy. Participate in the Family Network Annual Give!! Any donation great or small is appreciated and needed so that together we can ensure that our school, students, and staff get the support they need! (And P.S. your donation is tax deductible!). Contact the office, or email the Family Network to find out more information. This year you can make your donation through check, cash or Pay Pall: https://PayPal.me/ACAFamilyNetwork
New Fundraising Opportunity – Benefit App https://www.benefit-mobile.com/
● Download the app
● Link a checking account or credit card to this secure site
● Purchase digital gift cards
● Earn money for our school!
Popcorn Fridays: On Fridays, after school, the FN will sell popcorn & candy for $1. All profits go back to the school! If you would like to help, please email ACAFamilyNetwork@antiochcharteracademy.org
Keep Track of Your Volunteer Hours: Each ACA family is asked to volunteer 40 hours per year. Our Family Network Parent Volunteer Coordinator has already set up accounts for each family.
All you need to do is go to https://www.trackitforward.com and sign in using the email address you gave the school. Your temporary password is Aca01. After logging in, please change your password to a permanent one of your choosing.
If you can’t find an account created for you, you can contact the Family Network with questions at ACAFamilyNetwork@antiochcharteracademy.org
Family Network Meetings are the first Thursday of each month. Meetings are held in Room 4 at 6:30 on the ACA campus. The board welcomes and encourages all ACA families to attend the meetings. The meetings are not just for board members, but for all ACA family members.
FREE child care can be provided by Middle School students, but parents must RSVP to the meeting in advance.
If you plan on coming to the meeting, email the Family Network Board at email@example.com, and let them know you will need the Free Child Care services during the meeting.
Easy Ways to Earn Money for ACA!!
* AmazonSmiles: Shop at Amazon? Shop at Amazon’s fundraising site, smile.amazon.com and they will donate back to ACA. We are registered as The Learner Centered School, Inc.
* Box Tops for Education: Clip out those Box Tops for Education boxes found on General Mills, Hanes, Betty Crocker, Gold Medal, Ziploc, Progresso, Old El Paso, Kleenex, Fiber One, Hefty, etc. and drop off them in the collection box in the school office. You can also register at boxtopsforeducation.com and have more opportunities to raise funds. We are listed as The Learner Centered School, Inc.
* Good Search: Forget Google and Bing, use goodsearch.com for your web searches and they will donate a penny per search to ACA. They can add up! We are listed as Antioch Charter Academy. While there you can also sign up for GoodShop and GoodDining and others!
* Shoparoo…Upload this free app to your smartphone. Then take photos of your receipts from stores, restaurants, etc. and they will donate back to ACA. We are listed as Antioch Charter Academy. Info at shoparoo.com
*Escrip: Register your Safeway card with The Learner Centered School, Inc. Safeway cards need to be reregistered each year.
*Annual Give: This is a great opportunity to make a donation to our school, knowing that your money will go directly to benefit our students. Annual give donations are accepted any time throughout the school year, and they are tax deductible.
· Sept 13 MS EE Starts – Big Break
· Sept 17-19 Minimum Days – dismissal time at 12pm
· Sept 17 Dine Out for Dollars – Chipotle
· Sept 18 Charleston Wrap $ & orders due
· Oct 1 Make-up Picture Day
· Oct 3 Charter Council Meeting (all welcome) – 4pm
· Oct 3 FN Meeting (all welcome) – 6:30pm
· Oct 7-11th October Break – no school
· Oct 14 No School
· Oct 15 Dine Out for Dollars – Panera
· Oct 15 8th Grade Girls Empowerment Project – CCC Fairgrounds
· Oct 16 MS Study Trip to UC Davis/Mondavi Center
· Oct 29 Int Study Trip (on campus) – Walk Through the American Revolution
· Oct 31-Nov 1 Minimum Days – dismissal time at 12pm
School Phone – 925-755-7311
School Address – 3325 Hacienda Way, Antioch 94509
School Website – www.AntiochCharterAcademy.org
ACA Office – ACAOffice@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Family Network – ACAFamilyNetwork@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Elementary – ACAElementary@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Intermediate – ACAIntermediate@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Primary – ACAPrimary@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Middle School – ACAMiddleSchool@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA I & II Special Education – SPED@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Newsletter – ACANewsletter@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Memories – ACAMemories@antiochcharteracademy.org
ACA Hot Lunch Program – ACALunchProgram@antiochcharteracademy.org
Twitter & Instagram Accounts – #AntiochCharter; @AntiochCharter
Parent Network Board & Contact Info
Co-Chairs: Lydia Moon and Kelly MacCallister
Secretary: Brooke Farrington
Treasurer: Beth Rottier
School Volunteer Coordinator: Salena Killion
Social Chair: Janika Barnes
Fundraising Chair: open
If you’re interested in an open position please email ACAFamilyNetwork@antiochcharteracademy.org
We need help to make this year amazing for OUR KIDS, the school families, teachers and staff
Members at Large: Everyone!
Private Facebook Group: www.facebook.com/groups/acafamilynetwork/