ACA Family Networkings 4-17-17
Antioch Charter Academy
Newsletter for Antioch Charter Academy, TLCS Families and Staff Volume 21, Issue 30, April 17, 2017
To facilitate education and personal growth by: nurturing and supporting a partnership of students, teachers, families and the community, based upon mutual respect and appreciation building upon the philosophies of multiage grouping, Montessori, multiple intelligences and brain compatibility; and encouraging critical thinking , individual strengths, and diverse learning styles.
To provide a learning environment where students embrace education, exhibit compassion, and accept personal responsibility.
Dear ACA Families,
I hope our Spring Break brought some rest to you and your family and helped re-energized us all for the busiest and most celebratory time of year! We have so many wonderful activities to enjoy in April, May and June; our Young Authors Event, The Spring Music Concert, The Showcase of the Arts, just to name a few. Also, keep your calendars clear for the Parent Appreciation Brunch, our school Auction at Skipolini’s and our Last Day of School picnic in the park. Your attendance is not mandatory, but your help and presences make these celebrations more fun!
Additionally, in the upcoming weeks, our ACA staff is scheduling multiple meetings and discussions to complete our self-study as part of our WASC process. While tedious, and full of extremely education-centered language, this process requires your help and input in order to shape our school closer to what is wanted and valued by YOU (our stakeholders). We will do our best to make this process understandable, and to address what we find needs improvement. From curriculum, instruction and assessment to building a more participatory community, our goal is to make ACA the best it can be. Though this time of year can be overwhelming, please make an attempt to participate in these meetings, complete our surveys, and help us take in all or your perspectives so that we can improve the educational experience for our students.
In summary, your presence and participation in our culminating activities as well as our WASC discussions is needed! The partnership between families, teachers and our community will be most evident at this time of year. Please make it a goal to attend these meaningful events in order to celebrate our accomplishments and guide our improvement goals.
Dear Antioch Charter Academy Students and Families,
I am very excited for my Bat Mitzvah (coming up on June 17th)! My Mitzvah (good deed) Project is seeking book donations for the Jewish Coalition for Literacy (www.jclread.org). JCL is dedicated to helping all school children be competent readers by the end of 3rd grade. I love reading and I want other children to have the same opportunities that I’ve had.
I am holding book drives at my temple and at ACA. Starting April 17th, I will have a donation bin in the office at ACA. If you’d like to help me in this project, please bring a new or gently used book (for ages 4-9). As an alternative, you could send me a book (1908 Hillcrest Ave, Antioch, CA 94509) through JCL’s amazon wish list: www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/19HZOC1ZBNEQB.
Thank you for helping support this great cause!
7th grade student
The Wednesday Music program is in need of volunteers to help in getting ready for the big end-of-year showcase.
1) Help in the classroom on Wednesdays. We have groups in the morning 9:15-11:15am and in the afternoon 12-2pm. Come for either or stay all day! Every Wednesday or as often as you like!
2) Help with kindergarten on Mondays 11:15-11:45am. Come a little early before pick-up or stay after drop-off.
3) Help making costumes and props.
If interested contact Brian Herold at firstname.lastname@example.org
Smarter Balance Testing Information: Students in grades 3-8 will once again be taking the computerized version of the test called the Smarter Balance. The practice test is available to the public at www.californiatac.org. We strongly suggest that students spend some time on the website taking the practice test and acquainting themselves with the digital tools available. See attached document for more information.
Yearbook for 2016-17 will be a little different this year. This yearbook will be more of a photo book for 8th grade students, and a simpler memory book for all other grades. We are now accepting photos. Please send any pictures you take at school functions to ACAYearbook2016@gmail.com . We are also selling advertising space in the back of the book. If you, or someone you know are interested in advertising, please email Mr. Schorr at the same email address. Lastly, the yearbook staff would like to honor the 8th grade students with a dedication page. Each student will receive a ¼ page, where families can include photos, memories, or a comment for them to see. For more information, please contact Mr. Schorr at the same email address.
Keep Connected with Your Child’s School…”Remind”
ACA office has set up a message service that will remind you of minimum days, advisory announcements, & special whole school events.
To receive messages via text, text @primaryele to 81010. You can opt out of messages at anytime by replying, ‘unsubscribe @primaryele’. Standard text message rates apply.
Or to receive messages via email, send an email to email@example.com. To unsubscribe, reply with ‘unsubscribe’ in the subject line.
Remind is a one-way text messaging and email system. With Remind, all personal information remains completely confidential. Staff will never see your phone number, nor will you ever see ours. Visit remind.com to learn more.
Any person responsible for picking up your child from school is encouraged to sign up.
Family Network (FN)
The ACA Family Network is made up of ACA adults who volunteer for fundraisers and social events for the enrichment of our children. The money we raise goes back to our school for study trips,
family activities, and classroom supplies. If you have a child/grandchild/niece/nephew/etc. at ACA, then come join us & help make a difference!
The Antioch Charter Academy Family Network is awarding a $500 scholarship to an ACA graduate who is graduating from high school in 2017 and will be attending college in 2017-18. Award winner must be able to come to the beginning of our 8th grade graduation for scholarship presentation on June 7th @ 4:30pm (no need to stay for graduation ceremony). Applications are in the office and on the ACA Facebook Page
Family Network Events:
- Book Fair April 24-28 @ ACA Hours: Mon., Tues., Thurs., Fri.: 11:45-3:30 Wed.: 11:00-2:30 and 6:00-8:00 pm We need volunteers to set up on Thursday, 4/20, every afternoon during the fair, Wednesday night during Young Author’s night, and take down on Friday 4/28 at 3:30. We will be asking for donations of baked goods and drinks for refreshments at Young Author’s night.
- Teacher Appreciation Luncheon May 10th @ ACA The Family Network provides lunch for our staff to show our appreciation for all of their outstanding work for our students and school community. Volunteer/Donation needs TBD.
- Raffle and Silent Auction May 25th @ Skipolinis Pizza This event includes a fundraiser with Skipolinis. ACA earns money for all food and beverages purchased for dine in, take out, or delivery, with a flyer. A kids Movie Night @ ACA will coincide with this event.
- End of the Year Party June 8th at 12 pm @ Mira Vista Park ACA and ACAII families are invited to come celebrate the end of another great school year! The Family Network will have food, drinks, popcorn, and snow cones for sale. Volunteers needed! Signups coming soon.
Annual Give: This is a great opportunity to make a donation to our school, knowing that your money will go directly to benefit our students. Annual give donations are accepted any time throughout the school year, and they are tax deductible.
Easy Ways to Earn Money For ACA!!
*Escrip: Register your credit and debit cards at escrip.com and they will donate a portion back to ACA. You can also register your Safeway and Fresh and Easy cards. We are listed as The Learner Centered School, Inc. Safeway cards need to be reregistered each year.
* AmazonSmiles: Shop at Amazon? Shop at Amazon’s fundraising site, smile.amazon.com and they will donate back to ACA. We are registered as The Learner Centered School, Inc.
* Good Search: Forget Google and Bing, use goodsearch.com for your web searches and they will donate a penny per search to ACA. They can add up! We are listed as Antioch Charter Academy. While there you can also sign up for GoodShop and GoodDining and others!
Everyone (almost everyone) has a smart phone
Everyone wants to help our school
-Everyone knows at least one other person that would download the app and help raise money!
-It takes 30 seconds out of their day to help get free $$
Upload this free app to your smartphone. Then take photos of your receipts from stores, restaurants, etc. and they will donate back to ACA. We are listed as Antioch Charter Academy. Info at shoparoo.com
* Box Tops for Education: Clip out those Box Tops for Education boxes found on General Mills, Hanes, Betty Crocker, Gold Medal, Ziploc, Progresso, Old El Paso, Kleenex, Fiber One, Hefty, etc. and drop off them in the collection box in the school office. You can also register at boxtopsforeducation.com and have more opportunities to raise funds. We are listed as The Learner Centered School, Inc.
- April 21 FN Night at the A’s game – tickets must be pre-purchased
- April 24-28 Book Fair – Volunteers Needed!!
- April 26 Young Author’s Night – Prim/Elem @ 6:30, Int/MS @ 7pm
- May 10 Staff Appreciation Lunch
- May 11 Charter Council Meeting – 4pm
- May 12 FN Meeting (everyone welcome!) – 3:15pm
- May 19 Minimum Day – dismiss at 12pm
- May 25 Intermediate On Site Experience – Pioneer Days
- May 25 FN Skipolini’s Dinner & Auction Fundraiser
- May 26 Minimum Day – dismiss at 12pm
- May 29 Memorial Day – no school
- May 31 Showcase of the Arts (TBA)
- June 1 8th Grade Trip – Great America
- June 7 8th Grade Graduation – 4:30pm at Antioch Community Center
- June 8 Minimum Day/Last day of school – dismiss at 12pm
- June 8 End of the Year Picnic – all our welcome!
- June 13 Charter Council Meeting – 4pm
School Website - www.AntiochCharterAcademy.org
Primary and Elementary– ACAprimaryelementary@gmail.com
Intermediate Class – ACAintermediate@comcast.net
Middle School Class – ACAmiddleschool@comcast.net
Parent Network Board & Contact Info
Family Network Board:
Chair: Lydia Moon
Vice Chair: Kristi Pope
Secretary: Cherith Cantando
Treasurer: Beth Rottier
Fundraising: Janika Barnes
Volunteer Coordinator: Liz Hillyard
Social Chair: Brooke Farrington
Members at Large: Everyone!
Family Network Meetings: Second Friday of the Month – 3:15pm in the Multi-Use Room