ACA Family Networkings 3-27-17
Antioch Charter Academy
Newsletter for Antioch Charter Academy, TLCS Families and Staff Volume 21, Issue 28, March 27, 2017
To facilitate education and personal growth by: nurturing and supporting a partnership of students, teachers, families and the community, based upon mutual respect and appreciation building upon the philosophies of multiage grouping, Montessori, multiple intelligences and brain compatibility; and encouraging critical thinking , individual strengths, and diverse learning styles.
To provide a learning environment where students embrace education, exhibit compassion, and accept personal responsibility.
Dear ACA Families,
While reading through an article on ADHD, I discovered a strategy that helps kids improve attention and focus. You might want to give it a try and see if it helps your child, it’s called, (say it out loud). The idea is to encourage your children to self-coach by talking to themselves. Have your children describe what they are doing and what they might do next. EX. “I ‘m building a tower. One …two….three blocks. Woops! It fell over. I’ll try again” Adults can take the lead by doing the same thing. “ I’m making spaghetti. I’ll need a big pot to boil the noodles. Let’s fill that pot with water. I need to turn the stove on. What comes next? The sauce!” This self-coaching helps them stay on task, keeping things in order and builds vocabulary and communication skills.
Survey: In our quest for growth and improvement in our educational program, we are requesting your help. If you have already done so…THANK YOU…but if you have not yet, we are asking you to fill out a survey for each student you have at ACA & return it ASAP. We will be using your responses to help us focus our efforts on improvement for increased student learning.
We want you to consider your child’s age/grade when you answer. For example, if you feel your child shows grade/age level proficiency then you can mark that the goal has been met. Please consider where your child falls on the scale at this time based on where you feel they should be at this time, according to their age or grade level, and mark the scale appropriately. We have given you examples to help you understand what we are looking for each goal. Please read the examples before you rank your student. Some of the examples may happen at school, but some can be seen at home too. Thank you!!!
Some gracious parents have offered to come in for a garden clean up day on April 1st. The goal of the group will be to get the garden in shape for planting for the summer. They are looking for all the help they can get. Coming out would be a great way to volunteer and help the ACA community. If you are interested, please email us and we will put you in contact with the coordinators. Thank you so much for your help! We hope you can make it!!
Donor’s Choose Update… A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who has donated to help us get a 3D Printer!!!! We made it to the finish line!!! This printer will be used for many years, and will teach many students about this cutting edge technology!!
The Wednesday Music program is in need of volunteers to help in getting ready for the big end-of-year showcase.
1) Help in the classroom on Wednesdays. We have groups in the morning 9:15-11:15am and in the afternoon 12-2pm. Come for either or stay all day! Every Wednesday or as often as you like!
2) Help with kindergarten on Mondays 11:15-11:45am. Come a little early before pick-up or stay after drop-off.
3) Help making costumes and props.
If interested contact Brian Herold at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to the Nizar, Gomez & Sanchez families for donating 3 brand new microwaves for our kitchen! These microwaves will allow the students to eat their lunches, instead of standing in long lines waiting for a microwave!
Smarter Balance Testing Information: Students in grades 3-8 will once again be taking the computerized version of the test called the Smarter Balance. The practice test is available to the public at www.californiatac.org. We strongly suggest that students spend some time on the website taking the practice test and acquainting themselves with the digital tools available.
Yearbook for 2016-17 will be a little different this year. This yearbook will be more of a photo book for 8th grade students, and a simpler memory book for all other grades. We are now accepting photos. Please send any pictures you take at school functions to ACAYearbook2016@gmail.com . We are also selling advertising space in the back of the book. If you, or someone you know are interested in advertising, please email Mr. Schorr at the same email address. Lastly, the yearbook staff would like to honor the 8th grade students with a dedication page. Each student will receive a ¼ page, where families can include photos, memories, or a comment for them to see. For more information, please contact Mr. Schorr at the same email address. Flyers with more information went home with your students.
Keep Connected with Your Child’s School…”Remind”
ACA office has set up a message service that will remind you of minimum days, advisory announcements, & special whole school events.
To receive messages via text, text @primaryele to 81010. You can opt out of messages at anytime by replying, ‘unsubscribe @primaryele’. Standard text message rates apply.
Or to receive messages via email, send an email to email@example.com. To unsubscribe, reply with ‘unsubscribe’ in the subject line.
Remind is a one-way text messaging and email system. With Remind, all personal information remains completely confidential. Staff will never see your phone number, nor will you ever see ours. Visit remind.com to learn more.
Any person responsible for picking up your child from school is encouraged to sign up.
Family Network (FN)
The ACA Family Network is made up of ACA adults who volunteer for fundraisers and social events for the enrichment of our children. The money we raise goes back to our school for study trips,
family activities, and classroom supplies. If you have a child/grandchild/niece/nephew/etc. at ACA, then come join us & help make a difference!
- ACA Night at the A’s April 21st @ 7:05 pm Tickets are $35 each for lower box section of the lower level. Pre-order only; orders due today, March 27th. The school will earn $10 from each ticket sold.
- Book Fair April 24-28 @ ACA Hours: Mon., Tues., Thurs., Fri.: 11:45-3:30 Wed.: 11:00-2:30 and 6:00-8:00 pm We need volunteers to set up on Thursday, 4/20, every afternoon during the fair, Wednesday night during Young Author’s night, and take down on Friday 4/28 at 3:30. We will be asking for donations of baked goods and drinks for refreshments at Young Author’s night.
- Teacher Appreciation Luncheon May 10th @ ACA The Family Network provides lunch for our staff to show our appreciation for all of their outstanding work for our students and school community. Volunteer/Donation needs TBD.
- Raffle and Silent Auction May 25th @ Skipolinis Pizza This event includes a fundraiser with Skipolinis. ACA earns money for all food and beverages purchased for dine in, take out, or delivery, with a flyer. A kids Movie Night @ ACA will coincide with this event.
- End of the Year Party June 8th at 12 pm @ Mira Vista Park ACA and ACAII families are invited to come celebrate the end of another great school year! The Family Network will have food, drinks, popcorn, and snow cones for sale. Volunteers needed! Signups coming soon.
Annual Give: This is a great opportunity to make a donation to our school, knowing that your money will go directly to benefit our students. Annual give donations are accepted any time throughout the school year, and they are tax deductible.
Easy Ways to Earn Money For ACA!!
*Escrip: Register your credit and debit cards at escrip.com and they will donate a portion back to ACA. You can also register your Safeway and Fresh and Easy cards. We are listed as The Learner Centered School, Inc. Safeway cards need to be reregistered each year.
* AmazonSmiles: Shop at Amazon? Shop at Amazon’s fundraising site, smile.amazon.com and they will donate back to ACA. We are registered as The Learner Centered School, Inc.
* Good Search: Forget Google and Bing, use goodsearch.com for your web searches and they will donate a penny per search to ACA. They can add up! We are listed as Antioch Charter Academy. While there you can also sign up for GoodShop and GoodDining and others!
Everyone (almost everyone) has a smart phone
Everyone wants to help our school
-Everyone knows at least one other person that would download the app and help raise money!
-It takes 30 seconds out of their day to help get free $$
Upload this free app to your smartphone. Then take photos of your receipts from stores, restaurants, etc. and they will donate back to ACA. We are listed as Antioch Charter Academy. Info at shoparoo.com
* Box Tops for Education: Clip out those Box Tops for Education boxes found on General Mills, Hanes, Betty Crocker, Gold Medal, Ziploc, Progresso, Old El Paso, Kleenex, Fiber One, Hefty, etc. and drop off them in the collection box in the school office. You can also register at boxtopsforeducation.com and have more opportunities to raise funds. We are listed as The Learner Centered School, Inc.
- March 27 Middle School Study Trip – UC Davis/Mondavi Center
- March 29 Pet Assemby – 8:30am & parent must take pet home afterwards
- April 3 Whole school – “Mutts and Maribel” (on campus live performance)
- April 4 Hearing Test – K, 2, 5, & 8th
- April 6 Charter Council Meeting – 4pm
- April 7 FN Meeting (everyone welcome!) – 3:15pm
- April 10-14 Spring Break – no school
- April 25 FN Night at the A’s game – tickets must be pre-purchased
- April 24-28 Book Fair – Volunteers Needed!!
- April 26 Young Author’s Night
- May 10 Staff Appreciation Lunch
- May 11 Charter Council Meeting – 4pm
- May 12 FN Meeting (everyone welcome!) – 3:15pm
- May 19 Minimum Day – dismiss at 12pm
- May 25 Intermediate On Site Experience – Pioneer Days
- May 25 FN Skipolini’s Dinner & Auction Fundraiser
- May 26 Minimum Day – dismiss at 12pm
- May 29 Memorial Day – no school
- June 7 8th Grade Graduation (TBA)
- June 8 Minimum Day/Last day of school – dismiss at 12pm
- June 8 End of the Year Picnic – all our welcome!
- June 13 Charter Council Meeting – 4pm
School Website - www.AntiochCharterAcademy.org
Primary and Elementary– ACAprimaryelementary@gmail.com
Intermediate Class – ACAintermediate@comcast.net
Middle School Class – ACAmiddleschool@comcast.net
Parent Network Board & Contact Info
Family Network Board:
Chair: Lydia Moon
Vice Chair: Kristi Pope
Secretary: Cherith Cantando
Treasurer: Beth Rottier
Fundraising: Janika Barnes
Volunteer Coordinator: Liz Hillyard
Social Chair: Brooke Farrington
Members at Large: Everyone!
Family Network Meetings: Second Friday of the Month – 3:15pm in the Multi-Use Room